Sometimes there is just nothing cuter than a guy in love. I’m such a sap that when I hear or see people being kind and generous to their special someones, but what gets my heart a-melting is when he or she is proud of their partner. I feel sorry for anyone Veggie Dad has cornered on a club-going Friday night, tipsily detailing everything I’ve ever done as if it is the second coming of cheesus.
A staunch veg friend of mine emailed me recently with a recipe he wanted to pass on from his girlfriend. “All props to her, I’m just the middleman”, he says. My heart melts. How sweet that he took the time to send me something I might like because his girlfriend made it and he was so enthused by what she’d done he had to share.
I posted a picture on both Instagram and Twitter when I made these vegetarian sausage rolls, and was immediately awash with people wanting to know how to make it. I knew it would be a hit! I love a good sausage roll, but they can be very dodgy, and veg ones are no exception. This one, true to most recipes like this, looks and sounds like a drunk three-year-old randomly dumped the ingredients into a blender. However, it works. I don’t know how, but soldier on – the end results justify the means!
Here is Tara’s recipe – and if you make it, let me know how you go and I will pass it on! Thanks Tara <3
1 cup cottage cheese
½ cup crushed walnuts
2 ½ tabs. Soy sauce
1 medium onion
1 ½ cups breadcrumbs
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1tsp dry vegie stock
2 tbs. Grated Parmesan-style cheese
3 sheets frozen puff pastry
1. Blend walnuts, eggs, cottage cheese, onion and soy sauce together.
2. Mix rolled oats, breadcrumbs, seasoning and Parmesan cheese together. Add blended mix.
3. Cut pastry sheets in half and spoon a layer of mixture down the middle of each sheet.
4. Roll up the sheets and seal with milk.
5. Cut each roll into four and brush with milk or melted butter.
6. Place on a greased tray (I just used baking paper) and bake at 180 degrees Celsius fan forced for about 30 minutes.
Enjoy!Made a Veggie Mama recipe for yourself? I'd love to see it! tag #veggiemamafood on social media and let me know!