Homemade Vegetarian Sausage Rolls

Sometimes there is just nothing cuter than a guy in love. I’m such a sap that when I hear or see people being kind and generous to their special someones, but what gets my heart a-melting is when he or she is proud of their partner. I feel sorry for anyone Veggie Dad has cornered on a club-going Friday night, tipsily detailing everything I’ve ever done as if it is the second coming of cheesus.

A staunch veg friend of mine emailed me recently with a recipe he wanted to pass on from his girlfriend. “All props to her, I’m just the middleman”, he says. My heart melts. How sweet that he took the time to send me something I might like because his girlfriend made it and he was so enthused by what she’d done he had to share.

I posted a picture on both Instagram and Twitter when I made these vegetarian sausage rolls, and was immediately awash with people wanting to know how to make it. I knew it would be a hit! I love a good sausage roll, but they can be very dodgy, and veg ones are no exception. This one, true to most recipes like this, looks and sounds like a drunk three-year-old randomly dumped the ingredients into a blender. However, it works. I don’t know how, but soldier on – the end results justify the means!

Here is Tara’s recipe – and if you make it, let me know how you go and I will pass it on! Thanks Tara <3

INGREDIENTS:

3 eggs
1 cup cottage cheese
½ cup crushed walnuts
2 ½ tabs. Soy sauce
1 medium onion
1 ½ cups breadcrumbs
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1tsp dry vegie stock
2 tbs. Grated Parmesan-style cheese
3 sheets frozen puff pastry

METHOD:
1. Blend walnuts, eggs, cottage cheese, onion and soy sauce together.
2. Mix rolled oats, breadcrumbs, seasoning and Parmesan cheese together. Add blended mix.
3. Cut pastry sheets in half and spoon a layer of mixture down the middle of each sheet.
4. Roll up the sheets and seal with milk.
5. Cut each roll into four and brush with milk or melted butter.
6. Place on a greased tray (I just used baking paper) and bake at 180 degrees Celsius fan forced for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. flyingdrunkenmonkey says

Oh they look good! I think I'll have to give them a go :) I've never actually had veg “sausage” rolls.

2. Eva says

Cute! These are pretty gluten-y, but I've had my eye on some brown rice pastry on the Foodo website, so this might be a good excuse to buy some and see if I can make them work!

YES!! I have been waiting for this recipe since salivating over your photo on instagram. Thank you, I will be enjoying these next weekend. xo

4. Kylie says

Wow! These are amazing. Just made them today with my daughter. We had no walnuts, so substituted almonds, and no oats (my husband had fed the last to our chickens as we had run out of food!) so used a 5 grain porridge mix that I whizzed up. These are amazing! A must for anyone to try!
    Thankyou!

5. Jess says

Since getting food poisoning from mince, meat is pretty much off the cards & mince is ALWAYS off the cards so finding alternatives to things I used to love makes me so happy!! These were AMAZING! And so easy.
    I'm taking them to a work morning tea & I'm sure they'll go down a treat. Yet another successful recipe from this blog. Thank you :)

6. Rebecca322 says

I like you was sceptical ,but I have just made a batch of sausage rolls but instead of cottage cheese I used a veggie friendly fetta. Well let me tell you ,they taste fantastic. Highly recommended.

7. SLX says

Awesome! Kids loved them and they were so like how I remembered sausage rolls to be like (been veggie for 10 years now). I didn’t quite have enough cottage cheese so added a little feta also. Am thinking I might add a little pepper and fresh herbs next time to see how it goes. Thanks for a great recipe.

Yes I am going to do the same… I seem to remember I liked a peppery-sort of filling when I wasn’t veg, and thought about doing that last time! Fresh rosemary would be fantastic in these. And feta! Genius. I make them for kids birthday parties and everyone loves them – they’re a great way for other people to try veg food and not be scared!

Hm, that is a good question. Try soft tofu instead of the cottage cheese? You might need to add more breadcrumbs if it is a bit watery. And any vegan cheese for the parmesan :)

8. Kat says

Thank you so much for this recipe!! Everyone goes crazy for them and are always surprised when I tell them they were made without meat! I’ve tried a few different veg roll recipes and this is by far the best one I’ve come across.

9. Nicole says

WOW!!! As a vegetarian I was actually disturbed by how much these looked and tasted like the sausage rolls from my memory! Fantastic recipe…I’m sure the meat eating hoards at my sons upcoming birthday will have NO IDEA these are not meat! Mwwaaahahaha

10. Bec86 says

As someone who recently gave up meat I can say I quite enjoyed these. I might mix in some grated vege and BBQ sauce next time but I would definitely make them again. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I’m really enjoying exploring vegetarian options and this one is a win :)

11. Emily says

These really do taste great! i made them a few months ago and they were enjoyed by meat eating friends and my children, as well as my vegetarian husband. Just about to make them again for my 12 year old daughter who has recently made the decision to go vegetarian also! Thank you!!

12. Jessie says

Looks like a lovely recipe, might I just add that parmesan is not vegetarian, you can get parmesan alternatives which are named ‘Italian Hard Cheese’ as for the cheese to be legally named ‘Parmesan’ it has to be made in a certain way, with calf rennet in it!

Yes, thank you, I do know that! I wrote this post three years ago, but will amend the wording. After I found out about the law, I started writing Parmesan-style cheese, but this was before that. We are in Australia, so the Parmesan alternatives of which you speak aren’t available to us. We do get some similar cheeses made with non-animal rennet, so I leave it up to the reader’s discretion to use the options they have access to, depending on where they live. I hope that makes sense! :-)

13. TryingtobetheperfectMum says

This recipe is beautiful, just made 72 of them (once chopped) for my daughters birthday party. So simple and easy to whip up. Thanks for the recipe!

14. Elizabeth@thebackyardlemontree says

These look like just the thing to make for my nephews first birthday party. They look completely like real sausage rolls.

15. Jeff says

Just made these for my daughter, I got a10 out of 10 for them and she’s a fussy one. Tried them myself and you can’t tell them apart from the meat sausage rolls apart from the fact they’re better then the meat ones you can buy. Easy to make and very delicious, highly Recomend these. Thanks

Thanks for the great feedback! So pleased you liked them. I think they’re much better than meat ones, but I’m biased, haha. You really can’t tell, can you!

16. Kirsten says

Not sure if anyone has suggested this but I have just made a double batch (with the help of a friend) and we used pepitas as a substitute for the walnuts. I’ve just devoured four of them… Totes yum.

17. Georgie Sesto says

I didn’t add walnuts, but I added 1 grated carrot and 1 grated zucchini. They were really really delicious. Especially right out of the oven with some tomatoe sauce. I heated the left overs the next day in the panini press and they were almost just as good. The panini press made the pastry nice and flaky :)

Trackbacks