Meatless Monday: Cheesy Veggie Slice

veggie-slice-copy

When I was in the last few months of pregnancy with Smalls, I made quite a few dishes to stash in the freezer for busy nights. Christie from Fig and Cherry really gave me the idea when we had a playdate one day, and she’d brought along a frozen red curry for me. I hadn’t bothered to cook like this when pregnant with Biggie, but found a renewed zeal to get cracking this time around.

One of the things I actually made a few of was this veggie slice. It’s a change up from the humble zucchini slice, which I love, but with a greater variety of veg. I grew this broccoli myself and as we had quite a few, I popped it in this dish and it was just the thing I was looking for. I love the broccoli-carrot-corn combo, I think it’s terribly old-fashioned!

Unfortunately my second stab at zucchini last year was not successful and I have none for this year. Sad. Oh well, onward! The thing about gardens is you can just start all over again.

Cheesy veggie slice

Ingredients

• 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cups mixed vegetables (broccoli, carrot and corn)
  • 1 cup cheese
  • 1 cup self-raising flour
  • 100ml cream
  • 4 eggs

Directions

Step 1
Preheat oven to 180C.
Step 2
Chop onion and veggies into smallish dice. Spread on the bottom of a square baking dish and sprinkle cheese over. (I also add salt and pepper here.)
Step 3
Mix egg and cream with the self-raising flour and pour over the vegetables. Bake 45 minutes or so until cooked through and golden brown on top.
Step 4
Serve warm or cold.

Linky Bitz

♥ The linky will be up every Monday morning, and will stay up until the following Sunday. It doesn’t matter if you eat your meal on a day other than Monday – it’s just an easy day to create the link.
♥ Visit at least one other blogger and leave some love. This is so much more cool if we’re in it together!

Comments

ooh yum. brocc/corn/carrot combo is humble kindy food in my mind, especially with a creamy sauce! I have something for your linky, but it’s not ready yet? happy monday!

Yeah how weird was that? Said it started on Friday! Sorry about that, all fixed now.
      We never got food made for us at kindy, but the brocc/carrot/corn combo reminds me of frozen dinners and hospital food. I guess it’s the same comfort food effect? Especially when the carrot is in cubes!

2. Lisa @ Greek Vegetarian says

Fantastic, easy, freezable dish. And I love the old-fashioned cubed veggies. Oh how I wish I had my own vegetable garden…

Made a fantastic zucchini slice for the girls’ lunches a couple of weeks ago – there was a boycott on sandwiches only 2 weeks into the school term! Oh dear…. This one looks fab. Thanks Stacey xox

I’ve had terrible failures with my kids and any veggie slices… sigh… I do love the old zucchini slice myself and any frittata is a good frittata as far as I’m concerned. Must persevere with the fussy wee three.

Mine didn’t like it either, but she doesn’t like anything that’s not a sandwich! It’s a shame, because it’s such a quick and easy and healthy dinner with good leftovers. Come on, kids – trust us, it’s good!

5. Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo says

I make something similar to this (with the addition of my favourite and Boo’s nemesis sweet potato) with a cheese sauce made on the stove and poured over the par cooked veggies, but this is WORLDS easier.

6. Mother Down Under says

Brocoli and cheese?
    Hit me.

Some one of these days I am going to be organised enough to post about the veggie meals we eat so I can contribute to your link up!

I don’t know if it helps, but with the zucchini growing – my mum used to take the female flower and fertilise the other zucchini flowers to get them going (sometimes the bees didn’t do their job good enough) It would yield a better crop. That is all I know. I haven’t established my veggie garden yet – our yard is on a slope and shaded and I haven’t figured that one yet.

Oh thanks for the tip! I actually had one very successful crop, but the next lot were in different soil and hated my guts. All trial and error I guess, but there’s a lovely lot of pumpkins growing there now!

8. Nat @ the Apple Diaries says

I love that this dish is so simple and there’s enough to store in the freezer for meals on the go. I’m guessing you can use the same recipe and use whatever veggies you like?

Thanks for sharing :)

9. Twolicious.blogspot.com says

Think I’ll give this a go, the only way I can get my kids to eat a slice like this with anything green in it is to have them pick herbs from their garden to put in it. I’ll be checking out the rest of the meatless Mondays for more ideas!