Chia? Isn’t it that weird pet thing that grows “hair”?
Why yes, yes it is.
It is also an amazing superfood packed full of antioxidants and omega-3s. And as a vegetarian, I don’t eat fish and need to get omega-3s from somewhere. I do this with chia and flaxseed – both ground and in capsules. Among other things.
Dr Oz first brought this little seed to my attention, and if Dr Oz says it’s true, then it must be gospel, right?! However, as all good, educated, informed people should, I read about it to see if the research stacked up. It did. So now I throw a spoonful of chia in soup, pasta, smoothies, sprinkle on cereal… it’s small and tasteless and packs a nutritious punch. It can go anywhere!
If you don’t have/don’t want chia in your muffins of banana-y goodness, just leave it out… the recipe needs no adaptation.
Banana Chia Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour (spelt flour works well too)
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon each flaxseed meal and chia seeds
- pinch of salt if using unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 220C
2. Mash the banana. Add egg and butter.
3. Add the dry ingredients and mix.
4. Fill muffin cases three-quarters full and bake 15-20 minutes until risen and golden brown.