A rich, creamy dish with savoury-but-sweet caramelised onions topped with gently baked eggs made golden with a dusting of parmesan. Perfect to dip your extremely buttered sourdough into and sink back into the pillows with a good book.
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 swiss brown mushrooms, chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons cream
- 4 good, big, organic eggs
- grated parmesan-style or pecorino cheese
- fresh thyme
- buttery sourdough
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- In a large frying pan, gently cook the onions in the olive oil and butter for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden.
- Add a pinch of salt, the balsamic and the brown sugar and bubble another 5 minutes until caramelised and delicious.
- Divide between two oven-safe ramekins and top with the chopped mushrooms
- Top each ramekin with a tablespoon of cream
- Crack in two eggs into each ramekin
- Top with the rest of the cream, a good pinch of salt and crack of black pepper, and some grated cheese
- Bake until everything is heated through and the eggs are to your liking
- Top with just a smidgen of fresh thyme, you don’t want to over do it!
Keywords: baked eggs, eggs en cocotte, breakfast eggs, eggs in cream, thyme eggs, brunch eggs, brunch dish