When I first went veg, I went to all my favourite recipe sites and typed in “vegetarian”, then hit the search button. I tried so many new flavours, new ingredient combinations, and so many more recipes than I had ever thought existed. Suddenly a whole new world opened to me – and one of those worlds was cuisines from other cultures who took vegetables pretty damn seriously.
So seriously that their vegetables were unlike anything I had ever tasted before. Take this Greek vegetable stew recipe for example – it’s not just roast vegetables, people (although they are my favourite!), it’s a mix of slowly braised/roasted veg with loads of garlic, onion, herbs and lemon, cooked for hours until it melds into a delectable, sweet, flavoursome (dare I say unctuous? weird word, but it’s perfect) mix of soft, crispy, chewy vegetable stew-like deliciousness.
Lookit! Pass me the feta. squeeze of lemon, and crusty bread, stat.
Bread going straight into those herby, lemony, olive oil juiciness.Print
An absolutely delicious, crispy-soft mixture of veggies with traditional Greek flavours.
- 5 potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 2–3 zucchini
- 2–3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 green capsicum, de-seeded and cut into chunks
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced.
- A couple of wedges of lemon, halved.
- Cubes of haloumi
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried mint
- Salt and pepper.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water.
- In a large baking dish, add all the vegetables.
- Sprinkle over the oregano and mint
- Pour over the olive oil and water, and season with salt and pepper
- Bake at about 150C for three hours, stirring occasionally. As the original recipe says “NOTHING crisp-tender going on here – just meltingly, comfortingly, deliciously tender.”
- About 20-30 minutes before serving, add the haloumi to soften.
The longer and slower you can cook this, the better!
It’s not advised to cut down the amount of oil – it is an integral part of this dish.
Keywords: Greek vegetable stew, briami, briami stew, Greek briami