An absolutely delicious, crispy-soft mixture of veggies with traditional Greek flavours.
- 5 potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 2–3 zucchini
- 2–3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 green capsicum, de-seeded and cut into chunks
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced.
- A couple of wedges of lemon, halved.
- Cubes of haloumi
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried mint
- Salt and pepper.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water.
- In a large baking dish, add all the vegetables.
- Sprinkle over the oregano and mint
- Pour over the olive oil and water, and season with salt and pepper
- Bake at about 150C for three hours, stirring occasionally. As the original recipe says “NOTHING crisp-tender going on here – just meltingly, comfortingly, deliciously tender.”
- About 20-30 minutes before serving, add the haloumi to soften.
The longer and slower you can cook this, the better!
It’s not advised to cut down the amount of oil – it is an integral part of this dish.
Keywords: Greek vegetable stew, briami, briami stew, Greek briami