I know, I know – broadbeans sound like such a spring vegetable! But if you’ve got a bag o’ em in the freezer, and you’ve got plenty of lemon and chilli floating around then you’ve got a pretty gnarly cool-weather dish if you are, in fact, in cool weather.
If you are not, play on!
I do tend to find I put chilli in most dishes when the wind is cold and the skies are grey. When people asked me how I was going to survive the Melbourne winter I joked that I was just going to drink a lot of whiskey and hope that I warmed up from the inside out. I guess I can make that joke with chilli. Now if someone could just point me in the right direction of a chilli whiskey…
If you ain’t got broad beans, then throw whatever else it is you have in the freezer that’s green – spinach, broccoli, peas, all will be good. Be generous with both zest and cheese*.
*new life mottoPrint
Sweet broadbeans and creamy sauce benefit from a little lemon and chilli zip.
- 500g fresh fettuccine
- 500g frozen broad beans (no need to thaw)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup pouring cream
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (or one whole fresh red chilli, chopped)
- 1/2 Large lemon, juice and rind
- 1 Large handful grated parmesan-style or grana padana cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Take care to not under-salt the water.
- While the pasta is cooking, warm a frying pan with some olive oil and add the frozen broad beans, a splash of water, and the garlic.
- Stir, adding more water and a tablespoon of butter, until broad beans are softening up.
- Add the cream, lemon rind, chill flakes, and salt and pepper. Cook until the cream thickens and the broad beans are soft.
- When the pasta is done, take it out of the water with tongs and add to the broad beans. Add a few splashes of the cooking water to bring everything together – you want it to become a creamy kind of sauce.
- Add the handful of cheese and check for seasoning. Don’t skimp on the salt or freshly grated black pepper.
- Serve drizzled with olive oil, extra cheese, and black pepper.
Keywords: broad bean pasta, creamy pasta, broad bean fettuccine