Super-quick and easy apple and cinnamon scrolls for your next morning tea.
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Large apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- To make the pizza dough, add yeast, sugar, and water and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the flour and the salt.
- Pour in the water/yeast mix and the olive oil.
- I did this in the breadmaker, but by hand just incorporate the ingredients until they come together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Put back in the bowl and cover. Leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume (half an hour to an hour).
- Make the apple puree.
- Punch the risen dough down and give it a quick knead.
- Roll out into a large rectangle on a floured surface. I leave it about a centimetre thick.
- Cover the dough with the apple puree, right to the edges, but leaving a strip about a centimetre wide down one of the longest sides.
- Roll up from the widest edge (sometimes I need a spatula or knife to help lift it off the bench if I’ve been a bit stingy with the flour) until you have a fat little roll. You will be rolling from the apple-covered end, toward the strip with no apple, which will be the bit that seals your roll.
- Slice the roll crossways at one-inch intervals and lay them cut side down on a greased baking tray.
- Sprinkle the tops with a little raw sugar.
Bake at about 180C for 10-15 minutes, or until dough is cooked through and browned, and filling is piping hot. Yum!
- In a small saucepan, simmer the apple, lemon juice, and water until apple starts to soften and the mix starts to thicken.
- Add butter and leave to sit a bit (maybe turn up the heat if your’e game) until the apple pieces start to caramelise at the edges.
- Add a little extra butter or water at times if you think it needs it.
- When brown and lovely, add cinnamon and brown sugar.
Keywords: apple scrolls, easy scrolls, easy apple scrolls, apple and cinnamon scrolls