rice and lentils, so I made them delicious by adding chipotle chillies and turning them into TACO TOWN!
- 1 cup SunRice Rice and Lentil mix, rinsed (or 1/2 cup brown rice and 1/2 cup green lentils)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Large onion, diced fine
- 2 Large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 Small red capsicum, diced fine
- 1/2 tin Chipotle Chilies in Adobo Sauce (about 5-6), chopped
- 1 can tomato puree or diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup water (up to)
- small tortillas
- taco accompaniments – cheese, tomato, avocado, lettuce, sour cream, red onion, avocado, jalapeno, hot sauce, and coriander are our favourites
- Cook rice and lentils according to package directions – one cup of rice and lentils to two cups water with a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer 25 minutes with the lid on.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onion and capsicum until soft. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add lentils and rice, canned tomatoes, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and a pinch of sugar. Let simmer 10 minutes until flavours come together and everything is heated through.
- Keep adding water if you feel it is getting too thick (you want it more of a risotto sort of thing rather than a fried rice sort of thing).
- Test for seasoning – I like to add a bit more salt here and ensure there’s plenty of cumin.
- Leave to cool a little and serve with warm tortillas and cold accompaniments. Yum!
Keywords: chipotle tacos, vegetarian tacos, lentil tacos, easy vegetarian tacos,