The old-school, tried-and-true fluffy Aussie pikelets we all grew up eating.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar and left for a few minutes to sour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Heat your frying pan to medium. While it’s coming to temperature, melt the butter
- Add the butter, milk and egg to the flour mix and stir to combine.
- Drop dessertspoons of the batter into the frying pan and cook until bubbles appear on the surface and the sides seem semi-solid. The underside should be golden.
- Flip and cook the other side until golden.
- you could also use spelt flour
- you could add grated or small chopped fruit to the batter, or sprinkle chocolate chips over the pikelets in the pan once you’ve spooned them out
- you could also add a pinch of bicarb.
Keywords: pikelets, small pancakes, pikelet recipe, how to make pikelets, how to make fluffy pikelets