naw, cute, right?
Easter baby chick cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups icing sugar
- yellow food colouring
- 2 cups coconut
- Brown and orange M&Ms
1. Heat oven to 180 C. Put paper cases in 24 muffin tins (or halve the recipe and do 12, or bake 12 at a time).
2. In a medium bowl, beat flour, sugar, butter, milk, baking powder, salt, vanilla and egg. Either beat 3 minutes with a mixer, or get that baking bicep out and mix by hand for a few minutes. fill paper cases half full.
3. Bake 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool completely on a rack.
This is the fun part! add tablespoonsful of cream to the two cups of icing in a bowl, until it gets to the desired stage. Some people like runny, I prefer it a little stiff.
2. Add a few drops of yellow food colouring and mix. Here’s one I prepared earlier…
Now for your chick feathers… add 2 cups coconut to a ziplock bag, drop in some food colouring, seal it up and rub it all with your fingers to dye the coconut. Fun!
When cupcakes are completely cool, ice with yellow frosting. Put the coconut in a small bowl, and dip the cupcakes icing-side down into it to completely cover.
Add brown M&Ms for eyes, sticking on with a little frosting for glue. Poke orange M&Ms in for the beak… total cuteness.
Happy Easter barbecue customer…
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.