When there’s fennel in my veggie order, I am ashamed to say I pretty much do the same thing with it. Every time. It’s so good roasted though, so nobody complains (yet). Paired with roasted root veg – well, who’s going to turn their nose up at a pumpkin and fennel risotto? Especially if it’s easy!
Not me, anyway. I love risotto. In fact, I don’t there’s ever been a risotto I didn’t like – I appear to be able to make friends with all varieties. I also tend to make an absolute ton, and freeze it for those days when I just cannot be arsed making a proper lunch. Which, let’s face it, is every day. Totally the reason I started The Quick Lunch series.
So if you’re wondering what the hell to do with a bunch of fennel (and you’re not going to make Roasted Pumpkin, Haloumi, and Fennel Salad, or Pumpkin and Fennel Lasagna (seeing a pattern yet?!!) you can make this.
So what do YOU do with fennel?Print
bake the veggies, and stir into rice with butter and stock – easy! You can totally dress up a pumpkin and fennel risotto, or have as a family-friendly dish.
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 400g arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2l vegetable stock (you may not need this much, but it’s good to have extra in case)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup parmesan style cheese
- salt and pepper
- 500g pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and diced into chunks
- 1 Large fennel bulb, sliced into 2-inch pieces (save the fronds)
- Spread the vegetables out into two baking dishes, so there’s a bit of room around them. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until pumpkin and fennel is soft and starting to caramelise.
- Heat your stock in a saucepan, and leave to simmer.
- heat a drizzle of olive oil and a knob of butter in a large pot and saute the onion, garlic, and celery, until soft.
- Add the arborio rice and stir for a minute or two, to lightly fry. Turn heat down to just above a simmer.
- Add the wine, and stir until totally absorbed.
- Add the stock to the rice, a ladelful at a time, until rice is tender. I find this takes 20-25 minutes. And yes, you must stir pretty constantly!
- When rice is soft, check for seasoning. Add butter and cheese. Gently fold through the pumpkin and fennel and serve with extra cheese and the fennel fronds on top.
Keywords: fennel risotto, fennel recipes, pumpkin risotto