Eggplant parmigiana with an extra-delicious twist!
- 1–2 Large eggplants, sliced in 1cm-thick slices (I used one)
- 1–2 Large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1–2 cup breadcrumbs (whatever will be enough to coat your eggplant)
- 750ml tomato passata (or any kind of pasta sauce)
- 500g haloumi, sliced fairly thick
- 300g pumpkin. peeled and sliced (more, if you like)
- 1/2 Large green capsicum/pepper, sliced in strips
- cheese odds and ends, I used mozzarella and goat cheese
- 1/2 Large onion, sliced
- 1–2 cup grated cheddar or tasty cheese
- Optional: whatever you have in your fridge. Herbs would be good. And olives!
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Dip your eggplant into beaten egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Repeat with all slices.
- Bake (or fry) eggplant in olive oil until golden on both sides. Turn oven down to 180C.
- In a large casserole dish, spread a little passata. Add one layer of eggplant.
- Add a layer of haloumi, a little passata, then another layer of eggplant. Pop some salt and pepper over the top.
- Go nuts with your fridge scraps here. I did a layer of pumpkin, then green capsicum, then onion. Scattered the goat cheese, and the mozzarella, which I had cubed. Pour over almost all of the passata.
- Top with a final layer of eggplant, the last of the passata, and the cheese.
- Bake 25-35 minutes, or until the pumpkin is cooked through and cheese is golden brown.
Keywords: eggplant and haloumi, eggplant parmigiana