The old 80s fete favourite! You can’t go wrong with toffee.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 15g butter
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- hundreds and thousands
- Place sugar, butter, water, vinegar and honey in a medium saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves
- Increase heat and boil without stirring for about 12 minutes until mixture is golden brown and reaches the hard crack stage (154C on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from the heat and allow bubbles to subside
- Pour toffee into cases and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands
- Not waiting until the bubbles fully subside will mean your toffee will be bubbly on the surface (as in my photo). A smoother finish will be had if you do wait.
- You can keep these in an airtight container, they keep about a week
Keywords: old fashioned toffee, butter toffee, old school toffee, fete toffee