A cheap, easy recipe for apple pie – a frugal favourite.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2/3 cups unsalted butter
- 4-5 teaspoons cold water
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 4-5 Large apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/4 cup caster sugar (for filling)
- 100g butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, rub in the butter to the flour, icing sugar, and salt until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Bit by bit, add the water and mix until it starts to come together.
- Turn out onto the bench and knead until you get a pliable dough.
- Wrap the dough in a non-stick wrap and leave in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- When ready to roll out the dough, divide it in half.
- Roll one half out onto a floured surface until slightly larger than your pie plate. Transfer to pie plate and trim extra. You can pre-cook the bottom here so it doesn’t go soggy with the filling, or leave it as is. To pre-cook, prick with a fork and pop in the oven for 10 minutes or so just until it is dry but not fully cooked. You can also add baking beads.
- On the base of the pie, layer the apples, cinnamon and sugar with dots of butter throughout.
- Roll out the pie top and transfer to the pie. Press down at the edges to ensure a good seal. Poke a hole in the top for the steam to escape.
- Brush the top with beaten egg, milk, or cream, and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
- Bake in a medium oven (about 180C) until filling is cooked through and the top is golden brown.
Keywords: easy apple pie, simple apple pie