I’m really, really sad there is none in my house right now.
I’m not crying. I have something in my eye.
1 block firm tofu, drained and pressed. You can even freeze it overnight, and it changes the texture.
1 egg, beaten (or egg replacer, if you want vegan)
3/4 cup cornflour
3 chopped green onions
1 tbs minced ginger
1 tbs minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
2/3 cup vegetable stock
4 tbs soy sauce
4 tbs brown sugar
red pepper flakes
1 tbs dry sherry
1 tbs white vinegar
1. Drain and squeeze tofu and cut into dice.
2. Marinate it for as long as you desire in a mixture of green onions, ginger, garlic, stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, pepper flakes, sherry and white vinegar.
3. Remove tofu from marinade with slotted spoon and toss tofu with egg/egg replacer to coat.
4. Sprinkle cornflour over and toss to coat.
5. Heat oil in pan and dry tofu pieces until golden. Set aside.
6. Remove garlic, ginger and green onion (or as much of it as possible) from the marinade with a slotted spoon, and fry in oil a minute or two. Add the rest of marinade mixture and return tofu to the pan.
7. Mix 2 tbs water with 1 tbs cornflour and pour into sauce, stirring constantly until slightly thickened and everything is heated through.
8. Add broccoli and serve over rice.
Adapted from here.