Lately, my cherry tomato bush has been inundated with beautifully sweet, juicy red bubbles. I think Veggie Dad overdosed on them at one point, and I’ve been taking a punnet with me wherever I go. There is nothing better than tiny tomatoes you’ve grown yourself… I know it’s cliche, but there will never be a tomato in the supermarket that will taste anywhere near as good.
Usually I like to roast tomatoes until they caramelise and burst open a little, letting their delicious insides spill out everywhere… and there’s the times when I like to put them in a frying pan with a little butter and a lot of garlic… and cook them slowly… and add cream… and try not to eat it like a soup instead of having it with pasta. This was one of those times.
1-2 tbs butter
1 punnet cherry tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1. Melt the butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add tomatoes and garlic and saute gently until the tomatoes start to pop, 5 minutes or so.
3. Add cream and bring to the boil briefly.
4. Turn down the heat and add parmesan, as much as you like. Taste for seasoning and add salt if necessary.
5. Simmer until sauce reduces and thickens slightly. Feel free to squash your tomatoes to release extra juicy goodness.
6. Stir in gnocchi and serve with extra parmesan on top and a twist of black pepper.