Hot damn do I love pastry. Funnily enough, not necessarily sweet pastries, but anything hot wrapped in flaky pastry that I can cover in sauce and I’m a happy lass.
Spinach and feta pastries are a veg staple the world over, and yes – can get boring pretty quick. I find a boost of lemon zest, chilli, and mint usually bumps me out of boredom, but you can find as many variations of spinach and cheese rolls as there are people! Everyone’s got their own secrets.
I tried these spinach and cheese rolls on my kids, both of whom tucked in heartily – the eldest slammed five and then two more in her lunchbox the next day (the first time I’ve seen her willingly eat spinach), and the second ate every single sesame seed off the top and most of the pastry.Print
These spinach and cheese rolls are super simple and awesome to have a stash of uncooked ones in the freezer for a quick lunch or Sunday night dinner where you are DONE. FOR. THE. WEEK. Bit of salad, bit of potato, boom: there’s dinner.
- 500g shredded frozen spinach (or 400g fresh)
- 500g ricotta cheese
- 500g feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 6 Large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon semolina
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 sheets puff pastry
- 1 Large egg, lightly beaten, extra
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- In a bowl, combine the shredded spinach, feta, ricotta, mint, semolina, spinach, pepper, and eggs.
- Take one sheet of puff pastry and cut in half. Take one half and spoon mixture down the centre line. Take the left edge of the pastry and fold it over the mixture. Take the right edge and fold it over the left, making sure to overlap the pastry edges.
- Brush with extra beaten egg, and top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Cut each roll into 6 or 8 pieces.
- Bake on middle rack until the pastry is starting to become golden, about 15 mins. Then move the tray to the very top rack for the last 5 mins of cooking time or until crisp and golden. This enhances the crispiness of the pastry.
- Serve with salad of choice.
Keywords: Greek spinach rolls, spinach and feta rolls, spanakopita, easy spinach and cheese rolls,