Modify your barbecue sauce to your specific smoke/sweetness needs. You won’t know what you ever did before!
- 2 cups tomato passata
- 4 tsp onion powder, or 1 whole onion peeled and diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 cup treacle
- 2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp paprika
- 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- a couple of tablespoons of liquid smoke
- To a large pot, add the passata, onion, garlic, mustard powder, treacle, allspice, paprika, and worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer over medium-low heat about 20 minutes, until thick.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and liquid smoke. Test for seasoning – you may want to add salt, and play around with the sweetness/smoke levels. Remember it will taste a bit different when cold, so make sure there’s plenty of flavour.
- Bring to a boil and pour into heated, sterilised jars. Put the lids on tight and leave to cool, preferably overnight.
Keywords: homemade barbecue sauce, BBQ sauce, homemade BBQ sauce, canning barbecue sauce,