The tomato sauce of your childhood – old fashioned, Aussie style tomato sauce, just right for your pie or chips.
- 1 litre white vinegar
- 1kg white sugar
- 200g sea salt (I’d recommend going your regular table salt and not putting it all in until the end, when you’ve tasted for the balance of flavours)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 30g allspice
- 15g ground cloves
- 10g black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 5kg ripe, peeled tomatoes
- 1 kg brown onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 kg green apples, peeled and chopped.
- Bring to a boil vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic, allspice, clove, peppercorns and cayenne in a large stock pot.
- Add tomatoes, onion, and apple, reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until thick, stirring frequently.
- Puree until smooth
- Bring back to the boil, and pour into hot sterilised jars. Put the lids on immediately and leave to cool (preferably overnight, without moving)
Keywords: tomato sauce, homemade ketchup, tomato ketchup, ketchup recipe, canning ketchup, canning tomato sauce,