So I’ve been getting an error message every time I’ve tried to come onto the blog lately (and there was that one time I tried by Googling it and accidentally typed “veggie nana” which gave me IDEAS), which has meant I couldn’t reply to comments or upload any photos, or find the recipe for that quince pudding I made once, or write a new post.
Turns out, there has been no issue even though I called tech support, and nobody knows why I was getting the error. Dude was like “uh I can see everything fine” *scratches head* and I’m like WELL MY SCREEN IS WHITE, MAKE IT STOP.
In the great “turn it off and then on again” for the internet aka clearing the cache, I have triumphantly returned to the blog where nothing was actually wrong this whole time. Gremlins?
In the interim, I have been:
- doing a great deal of laundry. So much so I’m now getting an error message on that machine too (is it retrograde or something?) so there’s been a full load and accompanying water stuck in there since last night and I’m yet to figure out what to do with it.
- Getting the heating fixed so I no longer have to wear 17 layers including outdoor jacket inside my own house. I’ve no idea how long the heating has been unavailable for, but when I hired a duct cleaner to get all the smallpox and dead skin cells of strangers out of the vents before I breathed them in, he told me it was the dirtiest, dustiest heating system he’d ever seen.
- BRB, I’ve been summoned to read a book about pirate cats.
- Ok I’m back.
- looking after the school chickens and watching the new baby ones hatch in their incubator and going home to search for chicken coops on gumtree…
- Taking Bigs to the market and showing her more than one type of apple exists. Not that she can really eat them anyway because she has about zero teeth. It’s so cute.
- Watching Scottish cooking shows entirely in Gaelic with subtitles where regular folk are cooking homey kinds of recipes that you’d find in any regular family on any regular night. MY FAVOURITE.
- Wearing nothing but gumboots with hand-knitted socks and plaid and Barbour jackets. I will evolve into a Yorkshire farmer yet.
- Re-reading Bridget Jones’s diary and feeling 142% nostalgic for that era.
- Watching Suits on Netflix because Meghan Markle.
- Buying a great notebook from the op shop to keep a record of all the recipes I want to include in the dream book. It is called the Australian Women’s Notebook and it is filled with drawings of Australian native flowers, which I thought was entirely fitting.
- Making a coconut custard slice that it turns out nobody wants to eat.
- Making choc-chip muesli bars that Smalls won’t eat because she found one tiny (miniscule, really) bit of sultana in there and cried.
- making a very satisfactory cheesy pumpkin pasta bake with feta and rosemary that I’m more excited than is necessary to reheat for lunch.
- Making playdough.
- Going to school fundraisers dressed as Amy Winehouse.
- making plans to bring back the Sweet Teen Club podcast because dammit, the world needs more 90s and drunk people bitching about Sweet Valley High.
- knitting a fingerless glove all wrong.
- watching Polish operas.
I mean, it’s been a big week, right? It’s even winter now (according to Australia, will I ever resolve my equinox ideas?). On my list to do today is bake some bread, make zucchini fritters, perfect the oven chip, decorate and bake a birthday cake for a doll who arbitrarily has her birthday today and will have to repeat the process on the 6th when it’s a Beanie Boo’s turn to age another year, and spend 3/4 of the remaining available day wondering if I should vacuum today or tomorrow.
I’m also going to start the book! *insert appropriate emoji here*