Where creamy mushrooms and my anger at the 70s combine.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- a pinch of salt
- one egg
Mushroom Filling Ingredients
- 500g swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup regular (heavy) cream
- a pinch of dried thyme or a sprig of fresh
- a pinch of sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, milk, salt and egg until combined. The mixture should be quite thin.
- In a small, light frying pan, heat a little butter over medium heat.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter into the frying pan and immediately swirl around to create a thin layer over the bottom of the pan (you can find a video on how to make crepes here).
- When the crepe is dry on the top and has browned bits on the bottom, flip and cook the other side a minute or so, then remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Continue with the rest of the crepe batter. It should make about 6.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over high heat, saute the mushrooms and garlic in the butter until cooked through and brown. I like to let them release their liquid and then let that liquid evaporate. I also at this point deglaze the pan with a little brandy or wine, but that’s totally optional.
- Add the cream, salt, pepper, sugar and thyme and let bubble up and thicken for a few minutes.
- Set filling aside to cool a little, just enough to be able to handle.
- Fill each crepe with a portion of the filling and roll up. Put crepe seam-side down into a baking dish that should fit the crepes snugly.
- Continue with the rest of the crepes and filling.
- Over the top of the crepes, pour a little extra cream and grate your favourite cheese over the top
- Bake at 200C until the crepes are cooked through and the top is golden and bubbling.
Keywords: creamy mushroom crepes, mushroom crepes, garlicky mushrooms, creamy mushroom sauce, savoury crepes, savory crepes, savoury crepe filling,