Goodeth morning! I hope y’all are out there voting, and while you’re there, pick up the ingredients for this banger. Your Saturday night NEEDS IT.
I’ll be quick as I’m just flying out the door to set up our hall for a school fundraiser tonight and then I’ll be putting a LOT of eyeliner on. Our theme this year is GLAM ROCK and you can bet I’ve just rolled most of my outfit from shit we already had at home. I think every year, no matter the theme, I still manage to make a black outfit and some kind of eyeliner situation happen.
Anyway, let’s eat some stroganoff! Have it with pasta! I don’t mind! Polenta even! just don’t for the love of god get in the way of me eating it with mashed potato. A megafuckton of mashed potato. Such is life.Print
A vegetarian version of an old-school favourite (aka all my recipes), this mushroom stroganoff is a breeze to put together and a goddamn delight for your mouth.
- a big knob of butter
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 500g mixed mushrooms, cut in chunks. I like Swiss Browns for this, mixed with portobello and regular white mushrooms. They do cook down a fair bit, so up this if you need to. This recipe serves two, so take that into account.
- ¼ cup brandy (or white wine or even port as I did accidentally once but do try not to skip this step)
- 1 cup beef-style stock (I use Massell, it’s vegan)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup sour cream (full fat thanks)
- Salt and pepper
- Hot, creamy mash to serve
- Token green on the side if you must
- a sprinkle of fresh parsley on top
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium-low heat and saute the onion until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and stir for a few minutes until they get coated in the buttery onion and start to go brown in parts.
- Turn up the heat and pour in your brandy, let it bubble and reduce.
- Add the beef-style stock, mustard, paprika, and bay leaf and turn the heat back down to medium. Let this thicken up just a little.
- Stir in the sour cream and leave to bubble a few minutes to let the flavours mingle.
- Check for seasoning and adjust with the salt and pepper.
- Serve with your extras and the parsley sprinkled over.
Keywords: vego stroganoff, meatless stroganoff, vegetarian stroganoff