Wait – don’t throw those sandwich crusts and stale bits of bread out – make a custardy bread and butter pudding instead!
- 4–6 cups torn up stale sandwich crusts, hot cross buns, rolls, bread, croissants, etc (Depends on your custard-to-bread ratio – I err on the side of custard!)
- 700ml milk
- 100ml cream
- 4 Large organic, free-range eggs
- 60g sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Place all the bread ends in a baking dish. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mix together the eggs, sugar, milk, cream, and cinnamon to make the custard.
- Pour custard ingredients over the bread, and grate over fresh nutmeg.
- Bake in oven until puffed and golden and custard is cooked through, about half an hour to 40 minutes.
- ENJOY! (I can often be found ENJOYing straight from the pan…)
to be honest, the more cream the better in this mix! I like half milk – half cream if I can, so just play with the ratios until you’re happy.
Keywords: bread pudding, bread and butter pudding, croissant bread pudding,