A hearty, portable, delicious salad. Excellent for travellers!
- 1kg beets, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 Medium orange (juice and rind)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 200g haloumi, diced
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or more balsamic)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- First, roast the beets. Place in a roasting tray with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, rind and juice of one orange, and roast another 20-30 minutes until lovely and glazed.
- Put the bulgur in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit 20 minutes until cooked.
- Fry the haloumi until golden brown.
- In a large bowl, mix the beets, chickpeas, bulgur, haloumi, and feta. Toss with your choice of vinegar, the olive oil, and lots of salt and pepper. Yum!
Keywords: beet salad, beetroot and haloumi salad, beetroot salad