I don’t know where y’all are, but it is STILL freezing in Melbourne. Last night I was huddling under a blanket and I’ve been walking around with constant cold feet. We can still eat soup here, people. Soup in December. SOUP, I tell you! If you’re cold too, you might like to warm up with this Potato and Cabbage soup – or Pin it for when the cooler weather hits!
Whole Larder Love veggie boxes. When Ro means “seasonal”, he means “seasonal“. We had more cabbage than we knew what to do with.
I started Pinning all the European recipes I could find for cabbage and potato staples. When I came across one that had cabbage and potato mixed with jalapeno and lime I was intrigued, but kind of freaked out. Remember?
I made it basically the same way as this recipe, but without the broccoli and recommended parsley or dill. I mashed some of the potato to make a heartier-looking soup and let it all simmer down to a delightful bowl of warmth. The lime really makes a huge difference, and I know what will be my go-to when Ro starts up the boxes again next year.
Is it hot where you are? I know it’s meant to be summer in the Southern Hemisphere, but it’s forgotten us down here in Melbs 🙂Print
Cabbage and Potato soup with a Jalapeno Lime Twist – I was super-surprised at the ingredients in this one, but it really works.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small cabbage, quartered and sliced
- Salt & Pepper
- juice of one lime
- Coriander and sour cream
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat, and saute the onion, carrots, tomatoes, and jalapeno for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the veg softens and picks up some colour.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in water to just cover, until they are soft.
- Add the cabbage and sauteed veg to the potatoes and water.
- Simmer a minute or two until the cabbage is softened
- Mash a little with a potato masher to break some of the potatoes down and thicken the soup.
- Add the lime juice, and season with salt and pepper (chilli powder here is good too).
- Serve with sour cream and coriander on top – TRUST ME.
Adapted from here.
Keywords: polish potato soup, potato and cabbage soup,