Look at this adorable human.
This is Mrs Woog’s mum. She liked me even though I have the longest fingers seen on any humanoid, and her daughter told me I swore too much. I also giggled inappropriately, drank too many martinis and lost several games of handball to her grandchildren. She liked me so much she adopted me, and I am now one about 17 girls she calls her own, including the impossibly fabulous Uberkate, shown above making me wet my pants.
My new mum said she liked my salad, and that’s all that counts.
Pumpkin and Haloumi Salad with Honey-Jalapeno Dressing
3 cups roasted or gently fried cubed pumpkin
1 block cubed haloumi, fried
A mixture of spinach and rocket
handful of mint, torn
handful of pumpkin seeds (I’m not actually putting my grubby mitts all over these ingredients, it’s just a good vague description of amounts…)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 jalapenos, diced very, very small
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
a little more than 1 cup honey
1/4 cup Corona or other light Mexican beer
1. Layer the spinach and rocket in a bowl or on a serving platter.
2. Add the pumpkin and haloumi and sprinkle the mint and pumpkin seeds over.
3. Drizzle with dressing and a little olive oil.
1. Saute the garlic and jalapenos very gently in some olive oil until soft – 10 minutes.
2. Turn the heat down and add the red wine vinegar. Let steep for 10 minutes or so, until some of the vinegar cooks down.
3. Add the honey and stir. At this point I was worried the end result would be too thick, so I tried to figure out what might thin it a little. Just as I thought “I bet I randomly think of something that isn’t immediately obvious and it works perfectly”, I sipped my Corona. Bingo. I poured in about 1/4 cup or so (maybe a little more) and it was just the thing.