This is a recipe borne from cooking quinoa with too much water to the “you idiot, this is gluggy” stage, rather than the lovely fluffy grains I’m used to. Crossed with the ideas that came after these veggie-packed kiddo quinoa bites that were such a hit with my girls.
We had them with some sauce and a salad and called it a day, but they would be pretty fun with spaghetti, or as little appetisers with a barbecue-style sauce. They’re quite reminiscent of the rissoles of my youth (bring on the onion gravy), so it would all depend on how big you made them. As a burger patty I think they would probably be too soft, but hey, I’m not the boss of you!Print
Fun, savoury “meatball” style quinoa balls, ready for all your meatball needs! Excellent with spaghetti or with a dipping sauce.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (slightly gluggy is fine – in fact, encouraged!)
- 2 Medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Medium onion, diced reasonably small
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon mixed herbs (fresh parsley would be awesome too)
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- Mix everything. I’m not kidding – get in there and squeeze the bejesus out of it with your hands until it is thoroughly incorporated and reasonably firm.
- Shallow fry in oil over medium-high heat until golden brown all over and heated through.
Keywords: vegetarian meatballs, meatballs made with quinoa, meatless meatballs, quinoa meatballs