I cannot believe how much I love quinoa. I’m usually scared of weird grainy type things, and I’ve had a real aversion to barley like, my whole life. I’m so glad I gave this a try, it has honestly made my quite-frequent salads just that little bit different. The fact that it’s so healthy and packed with goodness is the best bonus of all.
Given my fear of grains, cous cous and I have never been friends. All the ideas I have for cous cous kinds of recipes are given a new lease on life with quinoa. It’s never let me down.
For this, I boiled 1 cup of quinoa in two cups of water, simmered about 20 minutes, and left it to absorb whatever might be left and cool down a bit. It made a lot of salad for one girl, so I ended up making burgers from the remaining half I didn’t eat. Recipe
will be coming soon! for veggie quinoa burgers here.
Summery Roast Vegetable Quinoa Salad
- 2-3 cups cooked quinoa
- 100g feta, cubed
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped
- handful fresh basil, torn
- pinch each sugar, salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Roast the tomato, zucchini and onion in a slow oven until just tender.
2. Mix the quinoa, veggies and feta. Add the sugar, salt and pepper (you might want to add more salt, I added quite a bit according to taste).
3. Stir through basil and red wine vinegar. Then add olive oil (in my head this means the vinegar will soak into the grains for better flavour without the grains first being coated by oil. I’ve no idea if this is even true!)