Creamy roasted eggplant mingles with spicy chilli for one of the best spaghetti dishes of your life.
- 1 Large eggplant
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 500g spaghetti
- 1 Large red chilli, sliced thinly
- 1 Large splash balsamic vinegar
- 1 Large pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Slice the eggplant into fairly thin strips – remembering they will shrink in the oven, but you want to be able to eat them with a fork. I don’t bother peeling it.
- In a baking tray with a reasonable amount of olive oil, toss the eggplant, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake until soft and just beginning to turn brown in parts. Anywhere from 15 minutes onwards.
- While you’re waiting, cook the spaghetti according to package directions, and put a small pot on the stove.
- In the small pot, add the tinned tomatoes, chilli, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, basil, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer. After a few minutes of simmering, add salt and pepper and test for seasoning.
- Let sauce simmer and thicken while everything is going on.
- When spaghetti and eggplant are ready, drain the spaghetti and add eggplant to the sauce.
mix the spaghetti with the sauce, and serve into four bowls. Serve sprinkled with grated cheese and sliced basil.
Keywords: eggplant spaghetti, pasta with eggplant, roasted eggplant spaghettie, baked eggplant pasta, spicy eggplant pasta