I made a cheesecake brownie (which I’ve been known to do), and turnt it up with salted fricking caramel because yolo.
It’s actually super easy – I use my go-to cocoa brownie recipe which is easy as all get out (from memory I think it’s this one, but I’ve included it below also), some cream cheese situation (from this one), and thick salted caramel (from Nigella’s How to Be a Domestic Goddess, it’s the Millionaire Shortbread recipe).
I originally made it with a salted caramel sauce swirled in and it was good… but I need thick salted caramel that didn’t get lost in the brownie cheesecake layers. Thank you Nigella, your condensed milk – butter – golden syrup concoction was perfect. Meanwhile, what a trio of ingredients. I basically just poured it down my throat.
SALTED CARAMEL CHEESECAKE BROWNIES IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOOOOOWW! I mean really. Rich, chocolately, salty, caramelly fricken goodness.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Large vanilla pod, beans scraped out, or 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 200g salted butter
- 375g can of sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Melt the 200g butter for the caramel in a saucepan over low heat. When melted, add the condensed milk and the golden syrup. Keep stirring every now and then until it turns light golden brown and thickened, about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it! Let it cool slightly. Feel free to add extra salt before cooling if it’s not salty enough.
- In a large bowl, add the melted butter and cocoa and stir to mix. Stir in the sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir in flour and the 1/4 teaspoon salt (be careful with this if you’ve used salted butter in the brownie mix, like I do. Don’t go nuts!). Set bowl aside for a minute.
- With a mixer (or by hand if you’re tough!), mix together the softened cream cheese, the icing sugar, the vanilla bean or extract, and the egg until totally combined
- In a brownie/slice/lamington tin about 34x20cm, place a sheet of baking paper.
- Add spoonfuls of brownie mix and cream cheese mix, leaving big holes for the salted caramel.
- Spoon in the slightly cooled caramel and don’t be shy! It will melt into the brownie as it bakes. Keep some aside for spooning over the top when it comes out of the oven, and also after it cools.
Bake in the oven for about 25-35 minutes, but check early – you DON’T want to overcook this. When testing for doneness, your skewer should come out with moist crumbs attached, not totally dry like a cake.
- Let cool in tin and as it cools, spread over a thick layer of the leftover salted caramel.
- When totally cool, add the rest of the caramel.
- Cry. Thank me. Praise jesus. It’s that good!
Keywords: salted caramel brownie, cheesecake brownies,