- 1 onion, peeled and diced finely
- 1 carrot, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 chilli, diced finely
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 bruised cardamom pods
- 2 cups stock
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 cups red lentils
- In a medium pot, saute the onion and carrot on medium heat in a little oil and butter a few minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and chilli, and cook for 1 minute. Add spices and cook 1 more minute until fragrant.
- Add liquid and lentils and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 10-15 minutes until lentils are cooked and the soup is at a thickness you’re happy with. Either add extra lentils and cook a bit longer, or add more water.
- Taste for seasoning and return to a high heat quickly to bring the soup to the temperature you want.