A huge pot of seriously delicious vegetarian spicy black beans, ready for all your Mexican meal needs! They are fantastic in just about everything.
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 Large orange, washed
- 1 Large onion, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 400g diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 Large lime, juiced
- water, as needed
- Depending on which method you choose – either take the two cups of dried beans and put them in a large pot with the smashed garlic and the halved onion, and squeeze in the juice of the orange. Add the halves to the pot.
- Cover with water about 3-4 inches and set on a high heat until water boils. Turn the heat down low and simmer for as long as you can 2-3 hours is good. Top with water as necessary to keep them covered.
- When the beans are tender, remove the orange and onion, and turn up the heat to evaporate any of the cooking water left. When there is only a few tablespoons left, turn the heat down to medium and add all the rest of the ingredients except lime juice.
- When all is heated and beginning to bubble, turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes or so. Taste for seasoning and add whatever is lacking. Feel free to salt generously, also.
Keywords: black beans, no-soak black beans, easy black beans, cheat's black beans, spicy black beans