Man, I love me a kitchen shortcut! This spinach and ricotta cannelloni is one of my favourite cheats although I cannot remember where I got the idea. I’ve never stuffed cannelloni, I’ve never piped anything – instead, I roll the filling in fresh lasagna sheets and tip the sauce all over the top. Tastes the same for half the effort!
Now if you want to make fresh lasagna sheets yourself, go right ahead. I may do the same one day. But for now, I’m all about the refrigerated ones at the shops.Print
The cheat’s way to make spinach and ricotta cannelloni – the same taste for half the effort!
- 500g fresh baby spinach, or one packet of frozen
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch basil
- 300g ricotta
- 1 cup grated cheese
- A smidgen of lemon zest
- One packet of fresh lasagne sheets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- One onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 400g can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of sugar… don’t forget this! very important.
- Extra cheese for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- In a saucepan, saute the chopped onion and garlic gently in the olive oil and butter until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until flavours mingle.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the spinach, ricotta, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, and the lemon zest.
- Take the lasagne sheets and spoon a line of filling along the shortest edge.
- Roll the lasagne sheet up and place in a large oven-proof dish, seam-side down.
- Continue with the rest of the lasagne sheets and filling.
- When the tomato sauce is done, pour it over the rolled-up lasagne
- Top with extra cheese and bake in the oven 20-30 minutes until the lasagne is cooked through, the filling is hot, and the sauce is golden and bubbling.
Keywords: spinach and ricotta cannelloni, cannelloni with lasagne sheets, cheat's cannelloni, easy cannelloni
A nice, simple mid-week, no-fuss dinner. I love ’em.