The cheat’s way to make spinach and ricotta cannelloni – the same taste for half the effort!
- 500g fresh baby spinach, or one packet of frozen
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch basil
- 300g ricotta
- 1 cup grated cheese
- A smidgen of lemon zest
- One packet of fresh lasagne sheets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- One onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 400g can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of sugar… don’t forget this! very important.
- Extra cheese for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- In a saucepan, saute the chopped onion and garlic gently in the olive oil and butter until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until flavours mingle.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the spinach, ricotta, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, and the lemon zest.
- Take the lasagne sheets and spoon a line of filling along the shortest edge.
- Roll the lasagne sheet up and place in a large oven-proof dish, seam-side down.
- Continue with the rest of the lasagne sheets and filling.
- When the tomato sauce is done, pour it over the rolled-up lasagne
- Top with extra cheese and bake in the oven 20-30 minutes until the lasagne is cooked through, the filling is hot, and the sauce is golden and bubbling.
Keywords: spinach and ricotta cannelloni, cannelloni with lasagne sheets, cheat's cannelloni, easy cannelloni