This post contains affiliate links.
I feel as though the last two weeks have whirled by in a total rush – school and its time parameters have taken some getting used to! Actually, mostly by me. The schoolkid herself has taken to it like a duck to water, and I’m the one struggling to be somewhere, fully dressed and on time by 9am. And that’s despite being a morning person! Oy.
Still, plenty of things have caught my eye and so I will share the stuff I’ve been loving lately…
I bought many, many Clarissa Dickson Wright books recently after becoming re-obsessed with the Two Fat Ladies, and I’ve been getting stuck into A History of English Food (which is excellent) and A Greener Life, a homesteady-style “modern country compendium” that she wrote with her Clarissa and the Countryman co-star Johnny Scott. Clarissa is an absolute riot, totally unapologetic and un-PC and I love her good old English stock ways. The amazing Food: a 20th Century Anthology (a collection of “the very best” writing about food with essays from tons of famous writers and cooks) and both her biographies are on the shelf waiting for me next.
I also picked up Murder on The Orient Express by Agatha Christie a little while ago and that’s been my before-bed/wine-in-the-bath read for the last couple of weeks. Still can’t believe I haven’t read it until now.
I’m also very addicted to the Duchess Kate and From Berkshire to Buckingham blogs. They’re my weekend morning cup of tea treat – I never miss a post! In fact, I’ve read every post from their beginnings to now. I’m a complete tragic.
Also will be busting out Nigella’s chocohotopots for tomorrow’s Valentine’s dinner dessert.
The new X Files! Ermgagherd. Lunchbox and I look forward to every single episode, and I look forward to sitting on the couch with a glass of wine and some salted dark chocolate almonds. So far it’s done the series justice (we re-watched the entire series about three years ago) and I’ll be super-sad when it’s finally over.
Speaking of re-watching, news of the upcoming Gilmore Girls episodes has got me all aflutter and I’ve started watching it again for a third time, although I’m of two minds about that… more in a post next week #emotions.
I’m also all about watching My Kitchen Rules at the moment because I love a. cooking shows and b. awkward personal tensions played out on screen, and the resulting memes that occur.
I made a pretty epic 90s one-hit-wonder playlist on Spotify so I could chat with Carly about it for an upcoming Sweet Teen Club podcast episode, but it’s been my go-to every day! So many good kitchen belters in that lineup.
Speaking of podcasts, I loved this episode of Women of the Hour podcast about work and productivity, and I love Clarissa Dickson Wright’s episode of Desert Island Discs (actually I love that whole program).
Several things from Bohemian Traders (they had a pretty awesome sale on recently and I swooped!). Some dresses, some pants and the Charlie shirt got added to cart. The Black pleated yoke dress is still available on sale, fyi (I also interviewed Emily yesterday for the Kickass Chicks series, I love peeking behind the curtain of everyone’s success, haha).
I’ve also got some great jeans on eBay lately, because I like to be warm and buy quality but give extreme side eye to paying $300 straight up, Captain Frugal Stacey just has such a hard time with those kinds of prices. I looked on eBay for the ones I wanted and a nice young lass had bought the wrong size for her and was selling them brand new and unworn. Bargain.
- My brand-new-to-me Diana mug
- When Uber teamed up with Australian Red Cross to come and collect people’s clothing donations – you just ordered an uber and they turned up to take your bags off your hands! So good. I donated three bags and although I purge my wardrobe often, I had no idea there was that much stuff still in there.
- The new ecostore bubble bath – I had a little pack sent to me recently to try and the kids really enjoyed it. The bubble bath smells so good and makes pretty legit bubbles. Everything has new packaging too, which is cool.
- A new little potted succulent from Fitzroy Nursery
- Some beeswax candles the girls and I made, I’m hoping they’ll ease my slow descent into I’m-not-ready-for-autumn hell. (we get the little packs from Spiral Garden).
- My new sewing machine, MAKE ALL OF THE THINGS!
- Buying a case of gorgeous wine from Vinomofo for the Mr for Valentine’s Day and having it arrive early! I was worried it wouldn’t get here on time, but it did, and I’m stoked. He will be too. He’s so bloody hard to buy for, but will put a couple of bottles of red to good use!
Caught my eye
Melissa (aka super_little_lion) made my southern fried tofu and posted it on Instagram with the #veggiemamafood hashtag – how good do these little golden nuggets look! I love seeing how you guys make stuff, the thought of everyone out there eating delicious things totally makes my day.
On this Day
2012 – Baked Sweet Potato Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing (and there was a post announcing my second pregnancy on the 14th but for some reason the internet ate it – I’m so sad!)
2013 – Little Things … oh those kiddies were so little 🙂
Have a great weekend, folks <3