A little while ago, I posted this picture on Instagram. It was the day of my brother-in-law’s engagement party, and goddamn it, I was making Snickers popcorn! At the request of the bride, but also at the request of my tastebuds.
The pictures attracted a lot of comment, mostly from people wanting to know where I got the recipe. Well, my old friends, this is your lucky day! Pinterest, of course, is where I found it. So much deliciousness over there.
I just about melted Instagram with my pictures of Snickers Popcorn. Allow me to facilitate you with the recipe!
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 4 large Snickers Bars, roughly chopped
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 100°C
- In a super-large stock pot, heat the oil and throw in a kernel or two of corn.
- When the kernels begin popping, add in the 2 cups corn kernels and replace the lid. Cook with the lid on, shaking the pan every 5-10 seconds, until you can hear the popping slow down. Once it gets to about 2-3 pops per minute, the popcorn should be done.
- Remove lid and pour the popcorn out into a large tray so it’s almost in one layer
- In a saucepan bring the butter, brown sugar, salt, and corn syrup to a boil and boil five minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
- Pour this mix over the popcorn and stir to coat it all as best you can.
- Sprinkle with the peanuts and put in the oven, baking for an hour and 15 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the Snickers bits and stir so they are evenly distributed and beginning to melt.
- In a bowl over a pot of simmering water, melt the dark chocolate. Drizzle over the cooled popcorn and leave to harden.
- Store in an airtight container (if it lasts that long!)
Recipe adapted from here.
Keywords: snickers popcorn, caramel peanut popcorn, chocolate popcorn, candied popcorn