I don’t normally mess with a fried rice. It’s either the usual style, or a nasi goreng-style. But this time, I had some tiny tofu cubes I’d marinated in teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice. Then baked with extra marinade and bits of pineapple. And they were awesome.
I love happy accidents in the kitchen. I had one yesterday, which resulted in some damn delicious hotcakes. Experimentation will get you everywhere, folks!
This is fun if you’ve already got marinated tofu, or even if you don’t want to or don’t have time to marinate this one ahead of cooking – just throw it all in the pot with the sauce and you’ll be fine.
1 block firm tofu
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (for the marinade)
1/4 cup pineapple juice (from canned pineapple)
1/2 cup canned pineapple
1.5 cups cooked rice, cooled
mixed veg – broccoli, carrot, capsicum, onion, peas and corn
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
splash of pineapple juice
1. Cube tofu quite small. I like to do it small so the marinade penetrates more and there’s less tofu taste.
2. Put in shallow dish with 1/4 cup each teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice.
3. Marinate in refrigerator several hours or overnight.
4. Place on greased tray with pineapple. Bake in low oven 20 minutes.
5. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Fry veg over high heat until just starting to soften.
6. Add cooled rice and cook 2-3 minutes.
7. When all the vegetables are cooked to your liking, add tofu and pineapple. Cook until just heated through, then lower heat and add sauces.