I feel like I need a trumpet here? Beth did a fab job of trumpeting in the birth of our new baby, but it seems very quiet here on the page, haha. Perhaps start playing the podcast now, while you read along.
Ah, that’s better.
Hello little bebeh!
Goodness me, hasn’t the world been waiting for you.
Beth and I go deep into all the facts and myths around little Archie Harrison’ Mountbatten-Windsor’s birth, and what we think of it all. In fact, that’s pretty much all we talked about! You’d imagine literally nothing else happened in the world the way we were carrying on.
While the new parents were stumbling their way through sleepless nights and bleeding nipples, the rest of the fambly were doin’ their thing across the UK and Germany (oh ps it was reported the Cam fam were headed off to Windsor yesterday afternoon to see the new addition… what a lovely visit. don’tcha just love a new baby!)
Mom + Dad will be skippering (not piloting, Stacey) some sailing boats this summer to raise money for eight of their charities. We saw a very nautical Cath and Bill launch the promo around the Regatta that will take place around the Isle of Wight. They even get to fight it out for a trophy! (aka The King’s Cup)
Don’t we love nautical Cath! She suits a stripe, that’s for sure.
Her Maj and her main man were at a luncheon for members of the Order of Merit at Windsor Castle (Phil has been a member since 1968) in the last few days too. So nice to see them together! They seem so stoic but between them they’re 190 years old and honestly should be somewhere with a rug over their knees and some Milk Arrowroots.
The Order of Merit, founded by 1902 by King Edward VII, is a special mark of honour conferred by the Sovereign on individuals of exceptional distinction in the arts, learning, sciences and other areas such as public service.
Cathy C was again out at the Anna Freud centre, of which she is patron, making speeches and doing chatty things with children.
The Anna Freud Centre tries to reduce the burden of mental health difficulties children can face, so very much a Cath Interest. Loved this green Emilia Wickstead, which is very similar to her lilac one (which I love but the colour is not my fave, so this green was very welcome).
And in a rare incident where my two loves collide, Billy was on hand to give Nick Mason, the drummer from Pink Floyd, a CBE for services to Music. And rightly so! Can’t wait for a Dave-in-a-tux-at-the-palace shot too. Only a matter of time, surely.
Mom and Dad headed back to Wales to join the 1st Menai Bridge Scouting Group at Newborough Beach to explore the beach’s wildlife habitat, and hear more about the importance of the nesting bird colonies on neighbouring Llanddwyn Island (and pick up some rubbish) in matching warm coats (Cath wore two, it must be really fucking cold in Wales), and made me wonder did I need to buy this coat as well? I mean why not.
And because you’re like me and you want to know, this is the farmhouse they rented when they were young and carefree and lived in Wales doing their normal life thing. This was their local pub, and Kate often did the shopping, even after they were married. They liked strolling on deserted beaches, watching Downton Abbey, growing their own potatoes, and popping into their local butcher.
They also visited Halen Mon Anglesey Sea Salt, a thriving local business which has been operating for over two decades, The Duke and Duchess saw the salt making process from hand harvesting to packaging. Lots of fancy places get this salt and now of course I need some too.
It was also their wedding annivesary, and we DIDN’T MENTION IT.
How did anyone give us two a microphone and our own podcast. My goodness.
and of course little Lottie’s birthday pics, which had us all gushing. How did she get so big!
We also tackle listener questions thusly:
- Why does Master Archie not have a royal title? Will he in the future? (my answer to where Mountbatten-Windsor comes from and why it only gets allocated sometimes was basically word vomit, but the answer is if there’s anyone in the royal family who isn’t HRH status – i.e. Her Royal Highness or His Royal Highness – they get Mountbatten-Windsor as a surname)
- What do we make of the bungled press releases?
- Does Meghan still have a surname?
- Why the name Archie?
- What’s the deal with the mega-formal photocall, apparently the total opposite to what they intended? (I don’t think I mentioned this in the podcast, but there was never any explicit statement they wanted to dial it down or present a more casual scene than what has gone before – that was all speculation – so perhaps they were always intending to have a fairly formal shot but just at their home, and they would make the call about when it would be once they figured out what would work best for them).
- What did Harry mean when he said Archie has changed so much over the last two weeks?
- Why did they mention “the Duke was present” at the birth?
- What did we think of Meghan’s outfit?
- Why was Doria in the picture of the baby meeting the Queen and Prince Phillip?
- Do we think Cath and Bill will try for #4?
- Do we think the Queen has a lonely life?
So much goodness to cover!
Listen below, or on your favourite podcast app. Feel free to give us a rating and review, we would be so grateful!