Once you make this loaf, you won’t ever be able to forget it!
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 200g plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 350ml buttermilk (you may need more or less, depending)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- In a large bowl, combine the flours and bicarb.
- In a small bowl or jug, beat the egg with the buttermilk and honey until combined.
- Add to the flour mix and stir until it comes together to form a dough. You may need a little extra buttermilk here, it should be quite soft.
- Form into a round loaf and place on a tray. Cut a cross into the top of the dough (to let the fairies out, of course!)
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the heat and wrap in a clean tea towel to prevent the crust from getting too hard.
Based on the Bord Bira recipe.
Keywords: brown bread, Irish brown bread, brown soda bread, Irish soda bread, Irish wheaten bread, wheaten soda bread, traditional wheaten soda bread,