Simple, crunchy sugar cookies just right for the holiday season. Or any time! Every time!
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (more if you’re into that sort of thing!)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Stir the baking powder and salt into the flour, then add to the egg/sugar/butter and mix gently.
- When it has all come together, and pat into a flat disc on a plate. Cover with a tea towel and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so, until fairly firm – you want it to roll without being sticky and soft, but also not too hard.
- When dough is ready, roll fairly thin (about half a centimetre is usually more than enough) on a well-floured surface, and cut into shapes.
- Place on cookie trays.
- Bake at 160-180C for 10-15 minutes, checking after 10 mins. You don’t want them to brown too much on the edges (or all the way through if they’re super-thin).
- Cool on wire racks and decorate as you wish!
Keywords: sugar cookies, christmas sugar cookies, sugar biscuits, decorating biscuits, christmas cookies