These cookies take no time to throw together, and they make an absolute ton (you can even double the recipe and be eating them for weeks!) – and the absolute best part is that they’re crunchy. I don’t know about you, but I find it hard to come at a soft cookie. Especially a sugar cookie. I find it hard enough to eat biscuits at the best of times, but there’s something about that satisfying snap as you bite into one of these buttery delights… yum.
They’re really easy to decorate, and each year for Christmas I make sure everyone gets a personalised one with their initials on it. This year though, my babes wanted butterflies and dinosaurs in amongst their more traditional Christmas shapes and who am I to argue? I can never say no to a dinosaur.
So pop your ovens on in this sweltering heat (maybe do it at night when it’s cooler?) and have a ton of these babies ready to decorate as a fun kid activity. Then eat them as a fun kid activity. Or sneakily at night with a cup of tea when they’re all in bed *wink*Print
Simple, crunchy sugar cookies just right for the holiday season. Or any time! Every time!
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (more if you’re into that sort of thing!)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Stir the baking powder and salt into the flour, then add to the egg/sugar/butter and mix gently.
- When it has all come together, and pat into a flat disc on a plate. Cover with a tea towel and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so, until fairly firm – you want it to roll without being sticky and soft, but also not too hard.
- When dough is ready, roll fairly thin (about half a centimetre is usually more than enough) on a well-floured surface, and cut into shapes.
- Place on cookie trays.
- Bake at 160-180C for 10-15 minutes, checking after 10 mins. You don’t want them to brown too much on the edges (or all the way through if they’re super-thin).
- Cool on wire racks and decorate as you wish!
Keywords: sugar cookies, christmas sugar cookies, sugar biscuits, decorating biscuits, christmas cookies