Note: I’ve republished this vegetarian corn chowder recipe from 2010 (one of my first!) with a few updates because it is on HIGH rotation here at VMHQ and I though y’all would like it. One of the few soups I make again and again over the years and am excited to eat every time. Enjoy!
Now that it’s getting “cooler” in South-East Queensland (I know, 14C/57F is positively frosty, right?) it’s time for SOUP!
And not just any old soup – some lovely, hearty “meal in a bowl” type of soups just bursting with flavour.Print
Creamy, buttery vegetarian corn chowder to chase away the frosty days! So thick and hearty, you won’t be hungry after a bowlful of this beauty.
- 3 Large ears of corn
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons cornflour dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pouring cream
- 2 Large green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Medium onion diced
- 1/2 Large red capsicum, diced small
- 1 Large sprig fresh thyme, peeled from the stem and chopped. dried is fine, too.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 Large potatoes, peeled and diced (unless they’re red skinned or new potatoes, then you can leave the skin on)
- Husk the corn, removing all the silk, cut the kernels from the cobs and place into a bowl. Reconcile with yourself that the little kernels will ping off everywhere and you’ll find some under the fridge six months later. It happens. You can always cut the corn inside the bowl, so it catches most of the errant kernels.
- Using the back of your knife, scrape down the cobs over the bowl.
- Heat the butter in a large pot over low heat and add the onion, bell pepper/capsicum, thyme, cumin and turmeric.
- Saute, stirring occasionally about 8 minutes until the onion and pepper are tender, but not browned.
- Add the corn kernels, potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, and let cook 10 minutes.
- Use the back of your spoon to mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot, or give it a good smoosh with a potato masher.
- Reduce the heat to medium and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cornflour mixture and slowly pour in the pot, stirring constantly.
- When the chowder has come back to the boil and thickened slightly, remove from the heat and stir in the cream.
- Serve with the sliced green onions on top.
Keywords: vegetarian corn chowder, veggie chowder, corn chowder, best corn chowder, vegetarian chowder