Hello and welcome to Dumpling Hour.
Today we’ll be making wonton-style dumplings with a soy-mushroom-chive filling, absolutely delicious little morsels of goodness.
These are great on their own with some dipping sauce, or floating in a gingery broth with lots of crispy carrot and Asian greens. I freeze the lot and keep them for quick lunches during the week. I also make sure I cook them in their own boiling water rather than directly in the broth, so the cornstarch coating doesn’t mess up the texture.
I am also reliably informed you can make this mixture fully vegan and it’s just as delicious – just leave out the egg.
I make them fairly simply (mostly because I don’t know how to make them any other way!), just folded in half, and the long ends folded together.
I love the freshness of the herbs and the depth of flavour from the sauces. I was gunning for a pork-and-chive kinda similarity but a veg option. Recipe adapted from here, and my broth recipe is forthcoming. Enjoy!Print
These vegetarian dumplings will rock your world – tons of mushroom, chive, garlic and chilli. Float in a soy-ginger broth or fry for good times.
- 1 Medium block firm tofu
- 200g swiss brown mushrooms, diced fine
- 1/2 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha chile sauce
- 1/2 ” ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 pinch each salt and white pepper
- 1/2 bunch chives, snipped
- 1/2 bunch coriander/cilantro, chopped
- 2 Medium eggs, beaten
- 1 packet wonton wrappers (any style)
- Drain tofu and crumble into a large bowl.
- Mix in mushrooms and all the rest of the ingredients, except wonton wrappers.
- Place a large teaspoonful of mixture on wonton wrappers, and fold in half, wetting the edges with a little water. Wet the corners with water and stick them together underneath.
- If you want to freeze, put them all in a single layer on a baking tray until frozen, then portion into bags or containers.
- You can cook in boiling water, or steam (or even deep-fry, yum!) for a few minutes until cooked through.
Recipe adapted from here.
Keywords: vegetarian wontons, vegetarian dumplings, mushroom dumplings, mushroom wontons, tofu wontons, tofu dumplings, vegan dumplings, vegan wontons,