First up, excuse the greedy stuffing of this soup with pasta and veg, I was exceptionally hungry this day! I would normally have it more brothy because I like that. Also your broth will be clearer than mine if you cook your pasta separately and add it later but… did I mention I was hungry?
Oh but it is a joy. I love to maybe slightly overdo the dill, and there’s something about celery in a soup like this that makes me next-level happy, so there’s always plenty.
In fact, I’m happy just looking at this picture.
Anyway that’s enough gasbagging, get yourself some matzo meal and go to town. Nothing, I repeat nothing better if it’s chilly or you’re feeling a bit meh. Or just because.Print
The vegetarian version of the all-time Jewish classic. Don’t leave home without it!
- 8 cups veg stock (Massell do a great chicken-flavoured one that is vegan)
- 1 large onion, stuck with a couple of cloves
- 2 carrots, unpeeled, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, leaves included, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, leaves included, sliced
- salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
- Fresh dill
- Small egg noodles/pasta
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds (optional, but it does help keep the matzo balls light)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped dill
- a pinch of ground ginger
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- In a large pot, bring the stock, onion, roughly chopped carrots, roughly chopped celery, parsley, salt and pepper to a boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer 1 – 2 hours until the broth is the flavour you want. If your simmer is on the harder/hotter side, you may need to add more water.
- Strain the broth, doing with the solids what you will (I feed ours to the chooks).
- Reheat the strained broth in a large pot.
- Add the sliced carrots, sliced celery, diced turnip and cook 5 mins.
- Add the matzo balls and noodles and simmer very gently with the lid off for 15 mins.
- Serve with extra salt and pepper and a ton of chopped dill.
- In a large bowl add the matzo meal and pour boiling water over it and mix.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before rolling into small balls.
Keywords: vegetarian jewish penicillin, veg chicken noodle soup, vegetarian chicken noodle soup,