I know, right – meatless meatloaf? What is it, then?
Well, it’s delicious, is what it is. In fact, when I first found the recipe, it was called “Really Good Vegetarian Meatloaf (Really!)” and I was intrigued. It had high ratings, and people who tried the recipe appeared to agree.
I’ll be the judge of that, I thought.
Yeah, ok – they were right. It was really good.
What you’re really looking for anyway is something baked in an oven that is the vehicle for gravy, amirite?
Anyway, we really like it, I think it does what is says it’s going to do. And if I was home for Christmas, this is what I’d be making. Alongside 84 kilos of potato bake, all the roasted pumpkin in the land, minted peas, and a pavlova chaser.Print
A rich, savoury meatless bake that tastes just like the real thing! Gravy mandatory (so is eating it on sandwiches the next day).
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup green lentils (yes, it matters!)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats (please not jumbo or whole oats, it makes a difference)
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200ml tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or two cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add water, lentils, and salt to a pan and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Water should have soaked all the way through the lentils and the lentils should be soft.
- Drain off any water left and give the lentils a really good mash. Cool slightly.
- Mix in onion, oats and cheese.
- Add egg, passata, garlic, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper and mix to combine thoroughly.
- Turn into a greased loaf pan and pat down until the lentil mixture is quite firm and there are no air pockets.
- Bake at 180C for 45 minutes until top of loaf is firm, dry and golden brown.
- Cool in pan just a bit before turning out and cutting.
Keywords: vegetarian meatloaf, meatless meatlof, lentil loaf, vegetarian loaf, christmas loaf, meat-free meatloaf, meatloaf without meat