I love a good sausage roll, but they can be very dodgy, and veg ones are no exception. These homemade vegetarian sausage rolls recipe, true to most recipes like this, looks and sounds like a drunk three-year-old randomly dumped the ingredients into a blender. However, it works. I don’t know how, but soldier on – the end results justify the means!
If you’re hoping to make these for kids’ lunchboxes and their school is nut-free, you can substitute the nuts for pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, or a mixture of both. I like to whiz the nuts or seeds first before the other ingredients so they’re quite fine – while the rolls are super nice with chunky bits, I find the texture more appealing if they’re smaller.
Folks have also popped in some grated veggies like carrot and zucchini, and I also like to put in garlic when I remember.
This is my friend Tara‘s recipe – and if you make it, let me know how you go and I will pass it on! Thanks Tara <3Print
The best homemade vegetarian sausage rolls ever – they taste like the real thing, only better!. Fool all your friends with the meatless deliciousness.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup crushed walnuts
- 2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon dry veggie stock powder
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan-style cheese
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry
- Blend walnuts, eggs, cottage cheese, onion and soy sauce together.
- Mix rolled oats, breadcrumbs, seasoning and Parmesan cheese together. Combine with the blended mix.
- Cut pastry sheets in half and spoon a layer of mixture down the middle of each sheet.
- Roll up the sheets and seal with a little milk brushed along the edges.
- Cut each roll into sections and brush with milk or melted butter.
- Place on a greased tray or just used baking paper, and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 30 minutes.
Keywords: DIY sausage rolls, meatless sausage rolls, veggie sausage rolls, vegetarian sausage rolls, homemade sausage rolls, sausage rolls without meat,
PPS these sausage rolls make EXCELLENT party food! If you’re looking for other party food winners, why not try these Greek-style Spinach and Cheese Rolls, Baked Brie with Garlic and Fig Jam, Baked Ravioli Bites, Roasted Pumpkin Hommus, Brie and Cranberry Rolls, Honey-Dukkah Breadsticks, or check out these wholemeal cheese crackers.