Vegetarian stuffed capsicum (or yes, peppers, depending on where you live!) is one of my favourite ways to use up leftover brown rice, which I like to make in a big batch at the start of the week. There’s only so many brown rice salads you can have, right?
I have stuffed both capsicum peppers and mushrooms with this filling, and both are amazing. Capsicum is a sweet little shell, and the mushroom is subtle enough to let the lemony goodness of the filling shine through. You can stuff anything you like – zucchini would be good – and get an extra dose of that veggie goodness we all need.
Vegetarian Stuffed Capsicum / Peppers
The filling lends itself to whatever you have on hand, but omit the pine nuts at your own risk! They are seriously so good I could have them in anything. And if dried cranberries aren’t for you, you can substitute small raisins or even dried apricots cut into small pieces. You could leave them out, but that wouldn’t be living, would it?!
PS – the filling is easily doubled or tripled, depending on how many capsicums you have to fill and how big they are. The given amounts here would fill four medium-sized capsicums.
Feel free to let me know how you go if you make them. I’m also considering doing a bunch in the slow cooker soon, as a buddy of mine sent me a link to a recipe I’m dying to try. have you done anything similar?Print
A flavour-packed brown rice version of vegetarian stuffed capsicum. Peppers, FTW! You can stuff it with all kinds of veggies and be everyone’s favourite.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 small onion, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- 4 medium mushrooms, chopped small
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional but fantastic)
- 150g feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs, chopped (oregano, parsley and chives)
- salt and pepper
- red pepper/capsicum, to fill.
- Carefully remove the top of your capsicum. Scrape out the inside seeds and ribs and discard
- Combine all other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spoon filling into capsicum and bake at 200C for about 45 minutes, or until capsicum is cooked through but still retaining a little bite. You can also cook with the capsicum tops for a pretty garnish. Or top the mix with cheese and brown under the grill.
This mix should fill 4 regular capsicum, or 8 small (pictured).
You can double or halve the mix as necessary.
Keywords: vegetarian stuffed capsicum, vegetarian stuffed peppers, stuffed peppers, stuffed capsicum, stuffed peppers with rice