I’m back! And you know I’m back from my super-sunny Queensland trip when pretty much the first thing I do is put a second jumper on.
I loved how awed everyone was when they wandered around Noosa beach on the first day of winter with the sun shining and them regretting their choice of jeans. But it was also pretty fun to come home to a brisk breeze and the sound of trams. And soup. There will be SO MUCH SOUP this winter – especially now that I’ve cracked the thai soup code after many years of sub-standard effort.
For this Thai-style soup, I’ve been using the Five Tastes Thai Red Curry Paste, and this vegan fish sauce, a splash of Massel Chicken Stock (which is vegan), and whatever coconut milk and veggies I have lying around. Occasionally I boil some noodles in a separate pot and make a laksa. It’s quite the combination, and so quick to whip up. Seriously, less than ten minutes.
I’m a fan of cubes of tofu, bok choy, mushrooms, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, a little bit of kale or spinach, and thin slices of carrot. But I’ll put just about anything in!
Is it getting chilly where you are? I’ve finally cracked and put the heating on at night 😉
This fresh and fragrant vegetarian (and vegan) thai soup will take less than 10 minutes and is packed with flavour. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon Red curry paste
- 1/2 cup Massel chicken stock, or veggie stock
- 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 Small squeeze lime juice
- 1/4 cup cubed tofu
- 1 cup chopped mixed vegetables (carrots, spring onion, spinach, capicum, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms)
- Heat the curry paste in a small saucepan over medium heat for one minute.
- Add the stock and coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Return to a simmer, add the vegan fish sauce, palm sugar, and lime juice, and all of the veggies.
- Leave on a bare simmer for five minutes or until veggies have softened but are still crisp. I often even take it off the heat.
- Taste for seasoning and make sure it has a balance of salty, sour, and sweet.
Keywords: vegan thai coconut soup, vegetarian thai coconut soup, thai coconut soup, coconut soup