Oh sad face, but I’ve finally finished The History of English Food by Clarissa Dickson Wright. It was so good. I love her humour and food and history so I didn’t want it to end, but dived straight into her first biography Spilling the Beans, all is not lost.
I cracked Nigella Express, but was sad when she said she was going to cut her usual waffle in the book (in the interest of keeping with the “express” theme), as her waffle is what I enjoy (besides the food, of course). After that I’ve got an Elizabeth David lined up, A Taste of The Sun, but am tempted to keep it for the middle of winter when I need some cheering up. The cover is super cheery!
Also: are you on Goodreads? Let’s be mates!
I made hash browns the other morning to go with some eggs for breakfast and by god they’re a pain in the arse. No wonder I never make them. I think it’s just my pan, but still… I’ve also done a couple of Nigella muffin recipes – her lemon and raspberry one (full marks) and her chocolate chip (not my favourite) (but don’t listen to me because my track record of enjoying muffins is about 1 in 36 years). Have been v. lazy by all accounts in the kitchen department.
Not a lot, but I snuck in some Clarissa and the Countryman (are you sensing a theme here?), some Nigella, half a Downton Abbey (this is going to be slow going, is it not?) and MKR now and then but I just CANNOT with Lauren. It’s not even funny any more, it’s just bullshit. Opposing just to oppose.
OKKKKKKk so I may or may not have made a 90s boy band playlist on Spotify for an upcoming STC episode (which you can get here) and I’m halfway through my Empire Records one. Smalls also told me Wu-Tang’s Gravel Pit was her favourite song. Then this morning she asked for Agadoo, so clearly can’t be trusted.
Ebay winter jacket success, but not quite what I was looking for, although it will be amazing.
- The kids and I went ice skating on Saturday at the launch of The Big Freeze winter festival (check it out here, awesome fun for Melbourne peeps in the winter school holidays DO YOU WANNA BUILD A SNOWMAAAAAAAN) and I forgot how much I liked it. The girls are now asking for lessons.
- Two cocktails at The Black Pearl on Saturday night, it was rad.
- The fried pickles at Smith and Daughters are AMAZING. I have never had them battered before, but it was so good. Their poutine is pretty spot on too, I don’t know how they get their gravy so good, but they do.
- The Uber driver I had the other night was rad. He was Indian so we chatted cricket (my limited knowledge), being vegetarian, what takeaway was good, his arranged marriage (it went for 6 days and there were 600 guests and he RODE IN ON A HORSE, which he thought was ridiculous and hilarious), what a guy.
- The big kid got an award at school, her first, and she just about burst with excitement. So happy for her!
- I had blood test results back today and I’m firing on all cylinders. Good to know!
On This Day
2010: Space Curry (yes, the recipe for curry they invented to be eaten in space.)
2011: Where in the World Has Veggie Mama Been? (quiet month that one!)
2012: What I wish I Knew at 15 (a letter to my confused younger self)
2013: VM vs NZ Day Three: Queenstown and Surrounds (our road trip around New Zealand… sigh)
2014: An April Retrospective (more like inception now)
2015: Gluten Free Choc Chip Goji Berry Cookies (I have nothing to add in these parentheses)
What have you been loving? Tell me EVERYTHING. Including what wine you’re drinking and what eyeliner you like, please and thank you.