I couldn’t eat cheese-flavoured Twisties for about 15 years.
When I was 7, I had a sleepover at a friend’s house. I remember waking up during the night in an unfamiliar bed, alone, and covered in vomit. I crawled into my friend’s bed, only to find she’d done the same thing.
I doubt it was the Twisties that did us in, but that vomit was neon orange, yo, and Twisties have a smell. I couldn’t stomach the sight of that delicious wonky-looking snack for a good chunk of my life, based on that one upchuck as a youngster.
One of our friends with a new baby recently experienced the joys of their first family gastro bug, and now feel similarly toward dark chocolate and whisky – which is a shame, because that’s not what caused their gastro, and whisky and dark chocolate are great.
Lunchbox and I were discussing things we couldn’t eat any more because a spew turned us off for good. His main culprits are marshmallows and white chocolate, and mine for a while were watermelon and the aforementioned stenchful extruded cheese food.
I did get severe food poisoning once, from chocolate… I don’t love chocolate, but it wasn’t the foodborne illness’s fault. It’s my undying devotion to salt, and my desire to eat stuff laden with it at any and all opportunity.
It got me thinking though – what’s something you absolutely cannot eat now because you threw it up once? Enquiring minds must know.